Wow, how my thinking has changed in the last year.
Yesterday, I was digging through some old documents that are
saved on my laptop and I found the daily journal I started writing the day
after discovering my husband's sex addiction. The journal describes our
situation and how I was feeling every day for about 2 months following
discovery.
I have never been much of a diary or journal kind of girl
because I always hated the idea that someone could find my deepest, darkest
thoughts written down somewhere, but after discovery I had the feeling that I
should document everything as it unfolded. For what? I really don't know, yet.
Anyway, I read through some of the excerpts from the journal
and I was reminded of how sick my thinking really was back then.
" Today I started scouring the internet, looking for
tips on finding jobs in massage parlors. Maybe if I actually work in one and
see how things are run, it will help me deal with the fact that David spent so
much time in them. I figure I can see how impersonal the exchange really is
between the masseuse and the customer."
What 'the hell was that? I completely forgot that I was actually
thinking about finding a job in a massage parlor. If there was ever any doubt
that the discoveries I made about my husband's sex addiction traumatized me, I
think that direct quote from my journal will prove otherwise. Reading this now
makes me feel sad for that desperate woman who just really wanted to make peace
with her horrible situation.
"I'm scared that David is going to relapse. I can't
control it, I know. I just don't know what I'll do if I discover he has had sex
with someone else again. I need a man who thinks it's easy to be devoted to me
because in his mind, no other woman can compare to me."
I now see that my self-worth after discovery really hinged
on whether or not there was a devoted man in my life. I had no idea that my
self-worth needed to come from within myself. Such an easy concept, but I just
didn't get it.
"Biologically, if men have a natural instinct to
procreate with as many women as possible, just like wild animals, maybe they
are all fighting their natural instincts when they remain monogamous and loyal
to their wives. Maybe no man can really be trusted...This makes me wonder if lesbians
have the most fulfilling relationships because they are not fighting nature in
order to remain loyal to their partners."
I can see now that I was desperately trying to find some
sort of explanation for my husband to betray me so many times and act the way
he did. At the time, this was the only reason that I could come up with that
even remotely made sense to me. It appears that I was trying to justify his
actions because I had lost faith in all men.
I remember feeling like my life would never feel safe again.
I kept waiting for the "other shoe" to drop. Well, with every new
confession and discovery that followed my initial discovery, that other shoe
did drop many times over. But I can happily report that I no longer fear that
it will drop again because I have somehow made it through those darkest days of
my life without forgetting how to smile or laugh.
Life with a sex addict is far from ideal. A day rarely goes
by when one or both of us isn't trying to cope with something that relates to
his addiction. I have no idea what the future holds for us, but I feel good in
knowing that:
1. I never actually applied for a job in a massage parlor.
2. I no longer feel like I need a man in my life in order to
feel complete.
3. I am slowly regaining my faith in mankind again.
Nothing's perfect, but at least I can now say that my
thinking is far less-sick than it used to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment